The Frostbite team is looking for an experienced Lighting Technical Artist, as part of the team you will be one of the first to get your hands on the newest tools and technology that Frostbite develops and releases to game teams. You will be part of the core technology team that powers games like Battlefield 1, Need for Speed, Dragon Age and Star Wars: Battlefront.
We want creative, committed and communicative people who are passionate about look development, achieving great lighting and streamlining content on various platforms, while feeding back on workflows and playing a supportive role in the Frostbite community. We encourage members of our team to have a sense of ownership and a strong go-ahead spirit. In return we provide great individual freedom and autonomy, true influence and a flat hierarchy.
- Research, develop and apply real-time lighting techniques to create atmosphere, increase realism, tone and depth, produce a convincing image.
- Match technical skill with aesthetic judgment to drive development of Frostbite’s lighting and rendering tools.
- Collaborate with Technical Directors / CG Supervisors on game teams to advise on tools and best practices to achieve their project’s vision for lighting and rendering.
- Drive look development of assets to define how Frostbite can achieve high-quality visuals.
- Troubleshoot common rendering and lighting technical issues.
- Analyzing and optimizing content to achieve desired performance & quality on various platforms and devices.
As a Lighting Technical Artist on the Frostbite team you will closely follow development of features created by the team to feedback on the usability of content workflows and help steer improvements. You will build tech demos and create support material for features that are shipped with every Frostbite release to help educate the Frostbite community and regularly broadcast Frostbite’s capabilities.
You will be closely connected to content creators across all EA studios using Frostbite and have an opportunity to travel around the world for onsite support.
What skills does Frostbite look for?
- Extensive experience in a wide range of CG Lighting techniques and technical methods.
- 5+ years’ experience creating photorealistic lighting for games or feature films.
- Strong understanding of rendering methods.
- Experience setting up physical cameras and shooting HDR.
- Experience authoring shaders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous exposure to game content development – Modeling, Visual Effects, Lighting, Characters, Animation.
- Good knowledge of Maya and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages.
Plus considered skills
- Knowledge of scripting languages like MEL / Python
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At Frostbite we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer and also provide our employees’ with occupational pension. Although we enjoy working hard at Frostbite, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods. We look forward to receiving your application!
We thought you might also want to know
We will review applications continuously. Apply online with a resume and cover letter in English, stating “Why I want to work at Frostbite”. We look forward to receiving your application!